Sunday, January 13, 2008

Beans, Beans, The Musical Fruit

Mr. Bean is one of the funniest characters ever created.  In my mind Rowan Atkinson is a genius.  A few months ago a new Bean movie, entitled Mr. Bean's Holiday was released.  It didn't get very good ratings.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I'm a Bean fan.  Black, red, kidney, refried, they're all good.  Except for green.  Those are gross.  Oh, wait, we're not talking about food.


The movie I actually want to complain about today is the original Bean movie that came out in 1997.  It was bad for so many reasons.  First of all they brought Bean to the United States.  It felt weird the whole time, like he was transplanted into a movie he didn't belong in.  In the new movie he travels to France instead.  It actually helps the movie, because he can't understand or speak the language.  That's good, because he isn't supposed to speak much. Keeping him in Europe made it feel more like the show.  He was also able to drive a Mini.

Another annoying thing about the old movie is that they reused so many of the same gags done in the TV show.  Did they think we wouldn't notice?  In the new movie he did some of the same types of weird things, which showed us that he is the same character with the same personality, but none of the same gags were recycled.   Thank goodness no turkeys got stuck on Bean's head.

There actually were a couple things from the new movie that bugged me a bit.  It always bugs me when people are trying to accomplish a task and things constantly go wrong to impede them.  This is kind of what the whole movie was about, but the part where he kept missing the train, and he lost his wallet, bothered me.  I just don't like when bad things happen to good people.  I also would have liked to see the "girlfriend" from the TV show.  She's funny.

p.s.  I couldn't remember if the song was "beans, beans, the musical fruit" or "magical fruit."  I looked it up, and both versions exist!  Here is a link to the wikipedia article.

No comments: