Thursday, February 7, 2008

Hey Hey We're The Apes

During my ventures across this vast web that spans the wide world, I saw something about the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.  I was instantly reminded of how annoyed I was with that stupid movie when I saw it.  Yes, I know it's a classic, and maybe I should watch it again in order to understand it better, but man that show just didn't make any sense.


Why do we need to watch monkeys running around a futuristic black thing for 40 minutes?  They could have gotten the point across in 2 minutes.  Okay, there's a black "monolith" (whatever that is) and there 
are a bunch of monkeys (or apes, whatever, they're all the same to me). The monolith inspires them or something.  One finds a bone and pounds it on things for 10 minutes, then kills another monkey with it.  Then Davy Jones comes out and starts singing "Daydream Believer."  At least that's how I remember it.  And all that lasted 90 minutes! Yes, I know I said 40 before, but it seemed more like 90.

Fast forward millions of years later, and we come to the only real entertaining part of this movie.  Hal, the spaceship, starts killing the astronauts.  That's it.  The only entertaining part. Then the only surviving astronaut goes to Jupiter, a lot of weird psychedelic things happen, and he turns into a fetus.  The End.  
Weird.  That's all I have to say about that.  
Wait, no it isn't.  I just wrote 3 paragraphs about it!  Like I said, I'm sure this movie has some deep meaning that I didn't understand, and maybe I need to watch it again and have someone explain it to me.  I just don't understand why he turned into a fetus!  That's so weird!

The music was great, by the way.

No comments: