Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Beatles Musical

I just saw Across The Universe.  I had to use a really big telescope.  Ha!  No just kidding.  It was the movie, Across The Universe.  Quite a strange movie this one was.  It's a musical that takes place in the 60's, and all the songs are Beatles songs.  I love The Beatles, and was excited to see this film.  The music in it was really well done.  They used many different styles and people to sing the songs.  The plot of the movie was interesting, but dumb in some parts.  I guess that's the way musicals are though.  I think I've mentioned that before.  When the characters are singing all the time, the story will likely suffer a bit.


I think probably the strangest part, and also the part that bugged me the most, was when they went on their LSD trip with Dr Robert (played by Bono).  If you saw this movie, then you know what I'm talking about.  It was all weird and psychedelic, and didn't really have anything to do with the movie.  Then they met Mr Kite, and he sang his song, and I think the whole thing was just an excuse to put more songs in the movie.  I could never figure out if that whole part of the movie was just a big drug hallucination or if it really happened.  It bugs me when I don't know if things are real or not.  But I guess that's how LSD trips work!  Am I right people?  Huh?  No, really, I have no idea.  I went on an LDS trip once, but I think that's something different.

Strange movie, great music.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've also been on an LDS trip, but I do remember a lot of singing. Too bad none were Beatles songs. Someday....not really...or is it really...Ha! noww you don't know if this is real or not either.

mle said...

I just recently watched this movie, and by the end, I wasn't quite sure what I thought of it. I loved the music, of course, but I share your thoughts about the scenes with the bus and Bono.. I'm thinking it'll be one of those movies that will get better the more often I watch it.