Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I'm back baby... and everyone else.

I didn't realize I had not written on this thing until people started complaining to me about it.  I guess I just wasn't motivated for a while, and then I was lazy for a while, and then I forgot about it for a while.  But, now I'm back.  I wonder how long I'll last this time!  Writing a blog regularly is a difficult task, at least for me.  I just spent like 10 minutes looking up the difference between "a while" and "awhile" to make sure I had it right.  So here's the deal... both would work in my sentence, but the way I wrote it conveys the meaning I wanted for the sentence better.  You see "awhile" means "for a short time," and "a while" means "for an indefinite period of time."  Here's an example sentence:  After eating chimichangas for awhile, I had to stop and use the crapper for a while.


I took a bus ride this last weekend from New York City to Washington DC.  It was actually a pretty nice bus with plenty of legroom, no weird smells, a driver who spoke English, wifi access, and they showed a movie.  And I think that's what this blog is supposed to be about.  The movie was Sahara.  It's a pretty good movie.  I had seen it before, but this time noticed something very troubling.  Towards the beginning of the movie Dirk Pitt and his crew are on a boat searching for a lost ancient item on the bottom of the sea.  They find what they are looking for and bring it up to the surface.  It was some sort of box or sarcophagus thingy that had been under water for a really long time, and was covered in moss and barnacles and other crap. Right after they
bring it to the surface, the admiral shouts out that they need to have it ready to be presented at the museum in 5 hours.  In the next scene they are all dressed up at the museum, and this object is completely cleaned and beautiful. 
There is no way they could have done that in five hours!  First of all, they were in the middle of the ocean, and second, the thing had been underwater for hundreds of years.  It's going to take more than five hours to present the thing at a museum.

There were some other dumb things in the movie, but it was still pretty entertaining.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Nice to have you back. The English lesson was helpful. I had thought about that last time I helped my son Todd with an English project. Sahara had loads of mind puzzling things in it. (I still enjoyed it) Clive Cussler is just into mind boggling situations.

mle said...

Yay for updated blogs! I feel as if I've gotten a big treat today. The only thing I really remember about Sahara was that it had Matthew McConaughey in it. (and I had to look up how to spell his last name)

Don't quit! I would like you to review Juno next...

Todd said...

Sahara was a pretty good movie, but it was cast totally wrong, especially if you have read any of Clive Cusslers Dirk Pitt books. What new summer movies are you excited about?